db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc] What should the DITA source produce and how should it be produced?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 01:37:18 GMT

On Mar 2, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Jack Klebanoff wrote:

> Usually you avoid checking in both source and objects built from the
> source. There is difficulty of keeping the two in sync.

No argument there, but the doc build might be more time and resource
consuming than most people want to put up with, so it might be useful
to simply have a set of built documentation for reference.

> I know approximately nothing about DITA and building documentation
> from it. Can't we just check in the DITA source and build the
> documentation with each build? The documentation should be as much a
> part of a build as the jar files.

Building the documentation with the rest of the build would introduce
dependencies on forrest, saxon, and FOP, and would add a significant
amount of time to the build. It would be nice to make the documentation
build easily accessible to anyone who wants to make changes to the
docs, so once the source has been checked in, I'll look into making it
easy to build with Ant. But, I don't think it should be a part of the
default build target.

andrew