db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Where should the DITA source files be checked in?
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:49:55 GMT

On Mar 2, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> I think the source DITA files should be checked into the source code
> tree, under svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/code/trunk/, and
> any built product (pdf, html) should be checked into the web site
> under svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/site/trunk .

+1. I think the source for the documentation should be versioned along
with the code that it documents.

> Moving forward I'm eager to avoid regenerating the derby manuals each
> time the web site needs to be updated.

This brings up several other question: should we have a copy of the
built documentation checked in with the source for developer reference
or only keep a copy in derby/site? Is there a convenient way for the
source to live in derby/code/{branch} and also be built by the forrest
from derby/site? Will we keep versions of the docs on the site for the
trunk and the branches if they diverge significantly? If not, what
version do we keep up, latest development docs or latest stable docs?
Won't this setup still require regenerating HTML/PDFs each build or is
there a way to have forrest only update them if the source is newer
than the output?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but that's all for now. :)

andrew