db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McIntyre <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r156227 - incubator/derby/code/trunk/tools/java/empty.jar
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:08:29 GMT
On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:54:02 -0800, Jeremy Boynes <jboynes@apache.org> wrote:
> Ah, I thought it was because there were problems if the directory was
> empty (e.g. CVS would remove it). Resurrecting it now.
>
> Don't know if its needed by jikes but it seems to be used by the
> class_size_catalog target.

The problem, specifically, is that Ant will add its Java runtime
classes to the classpath if Jikes is used as the compiler and any
<javac> task's bootclasspath attribute is null, empty, or contains
only unresolvable classpath elements. By adding a real, but empty, jar
file to the classpath, we prevent Ant from adding its runtime classes
to the classpath, giving us complete control over the compilation
classpath.

This might be considered a bug in Ant's Jikes CompilerAdapter, but I
believe the issue was raised a long time ago and it was decided to
keep the behavior the way it is, since it can be overridden this way.
If there is concern, I'll be glad to take it up again with the Ant
folks. :-)

(as an aside, I attempted to exploit this behavior while trying to
hook the Derby build into the nightly gump build, to get the JDK 1.3
runtime classes into the classpath when needed, but other factors got
in the way.)

andrew