db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From myrna <my...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Too many jar files
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:30:40 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> Hi, Myrna.  I scanned through the docs you mention, but I can't find
> anything that says each locale requires its classes to be in a
> separate jar file.  It *does* talk about having lots of smaller
> resource bundles, and how you have a group of resource bundles that
> follow a naming pattern so that they are loaded based on the current
> locale.  But all these resource bundles, as far as I can see, can all
> go into a single JAR file.   Knowing what I do about Java and
> classloading, I can't see what difference it could make.  But it's
> more than likely I am missing something :)
>
> Another data point for me is: I have worked with a lot of other
> internationalized Java products, and these folks all seem to have
> their resource bundles embedded in their main jar files, regardless of
> how many locales they support.  I also did a general Google for this
> topic, and couldn't find anything about having to have a separate jar
> file for each locale.
>
> Can you point me to the place where it says specifically that each
> locale needs its own jar file?
>
> Thanks!
>
> David

Ah, now I see what you're saying - just lob all locale files (they're
not classes) together into 1 jar. I am not sure about this, but I would
think that it was done to minimize footprint/size of jar - if you know
you'll be working in Italian only you wouldn't care about having any
other locale files sitting around.

But maybe someone else can explain for sure.

Myrna