db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <David.Vancouver...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Too many jar files
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:24:14 GMT
Hi, Myrna.  I scanned through the docs you mention, but I can't find
anything that says each locale requires its classes to be in a separate
jar file.  It *does* talk about having lots of smaller resource bundles,
and how you have a group of resource bundles that follow a naming
pattern so that they are loaded based on the current locale.  But all
these resource bundles, as far as I can see, can all go into a single
JAR file.   Knowing what I do about Java and classloading, I can't see
what difference it could make.  But it's more than likely I am missing
something :)

Another data point for me is: I have worked with a lot of other
internationalized Java products, and these folks all seem to have their
resource bundles embedded in their main jar files, regardless of how
many locales they support.  I also did a general Google for this topic,
and couldn't find anything about having to have a separate jar file for
each locale.

Can you point me to the place where it says specifically that each
locale needs its own jar file?

Thanks!

David