db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From myrna <my...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Too many jar files
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:13:13 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:

> The testing instructions include having to create this long CLASSPATH,
> the majority of which are independent locale JAR files.  These files
> also seem to be deliveredas independent files in the release.
> Apologies for being a newbie, but is there any reason these locale
> jars can't be combined into a single jar?  I checked and as far as I
> can see all the file names are unique across all these jar files.  Is
> this a space concern?
> Thanks,
>
> David

Ha, it so happens I just read up on some of this stuff.

There's some good info pages around, about how to do
internationalization, and work with the java.util.ResourceBundle class.
See for instance:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/ResourceBundles/
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/i18n/

So, yes, those files need to remain separate.

However, regarding the functionTests, most tests do *not* need the
localization jars.
I'd have to confirm, but I *believe* that only the following tests need
the locale jars:
     i18n/* tests (suite i18nTest)  - only need a few of the locale jars
     sysinfo  - expected output expects all locale jars to be in the
classpath.

We do need some more internationalization tests that run the same on all
platforms (windoze, linux, mac), but that's another issue.

Myrna