db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Thoughts on the to-do list
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:59:19 GMT
Darcy Benoit wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:36:08 -0800, Kathey Marsden
> <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> In reexamining the to-do list I think we should consider  identifying
>> some low hanging fruit or mark projects as beginner, intermediate and
>> advanced. We could add  in notes for recommended implementation and
>> perhaps identify  a  committer willing to volunteer not to do the
>> project but serve as mentor or consultant on the project, promising
>> to at least respond to questions that the implementer asks on the
>> list if not answered by someone else, review code submissions etc.
>> This way can give potential contributors the support they need to add
>> value to Derby and reach committer status.
>

> Kathey,
>     I must say that I really like this idea. I've been following the
> Derby group since the fall, and I have been trying to find the time to
> get involve but have been unable to find a good starting point. I also
> have a group of several undergrad and MSc students who I want to work
> developing Derby (specifically from the perspective of autonomic
> features and performance), but don't really know where to get them to
> start. A list of small targets with identified help would make it
> easier for people to get their feet wet working on the code and lead
> to more contributions. Anything that can help people who have never
> been involved in an open source project would be useful.
>
> darcy

I am so glad to hear back on this.    Since you are the first to
respond.   I can customize the first set of getting started projects
that  fit the interests of you and your students.   I'll post them here
and then hope that someone with web skills and access will pretty them
up for the website.

Questions
    Are you and your students interested in projects in network server,
embedded derby or both?
    Could you explain a little what you mean by autonomic features and
maybe give an example?

Again thanks for the interest.

Kathey