db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Questions about "getApproximateLengthInBytes()"
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2005 01:28:07 GMT
RPost wrote:

> I also noticed that the 'estimated MemoryUsage() method in
> DataTypeDescriptor.java has similar, but in some cases different, numbers.

Thanks for the reply--and so the plot thickens.  I did notice that values for date/time/timestamp
are all 12 in the
estimateMemoryUsage method, and that the phrase "I think" shows up once while "Who knows?"
shows up three times, which
makes me wonder about the accuracy there.  On the other hand, the method "getApproximateLengthInBytes()"
has the word
"approximate" in it, which isn't exactly confidence-boosting, either.  And since "getMaximumWidth()"
(which is what is
currently used for metadata LENGTH) isn't correct either, one is forced to wonder if metadata
shouldn't perhaps be doing
it's own thing entirely...?

Hmmm,
Army