db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: About improvement of DERBY-134
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:28:28 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> The spec says that the sort keys are value expressions which would make
> both "ORDER BY 1+1" and "ORDER BY C1/C1" valid SQL so we can't raise an
> error.

[the following paragraph is more a general philosophy than this specific
case]

Well we can choose to if we want to. Supporting only a subset of
expressions would still be in-line with the standard. Sometimes it is
better not to support something where specified behaviour is unclear
and/or of no benefit. Then you don't get tied into awkward backwards
compatibility issues when you discover the wrong choice of behaviour was
made.

In this specific case though it seems that special casing integer
literals is the way to go.

Dan.