db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: How to prepare patches
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:30:02 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Myrna posted steps for preparing a patch :
> http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/%3c4224C177.6050708@Golux.Com%3e
>

> I'd like to add these instructions to :
> http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html
>
> Below are her instructions and a followup suggestion from Jeremy. Are
> there any other suggestions?

- For a feature, a description of what the detailed functionality that
is being implemented is essential.

- A description of the changes, e.g. how a feature is implemented or why
the change fixes a bug. Hopefully this will be in comments in the code
but sometimes an overview in the e-mail is useful, or have the e-mail
point to an overview in the code comments.

- If the patch modifies more than one file then the output from
'svn status' is very useful to have in the e-mail.

Dan.