db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <s-hutin...@wiu.edu>
Subject Re: DITA forrest jira
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:16:46 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> scott hutinger wrote:
>
>> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> I asked the derby-ppmc and legal-discuss lists about using the
>>> SourceForge DITA Toolkit.
>>>
>>> I guess there's no issue with just *using* software with a CPL
>>> license (for example, lots of apache projects use JUnit, which is
>>> also under the CPL).
>>>
>>> But here's the issue. Files in the Toolkit are meant to be copied,
>>> then modified for a specific project, which lets that project
>>> override Toolkit defaults. But modifying those files creates
>>> derivative works under the CPL and those files can't be checked into
>>> an Apache source code repository.
>>>
>> Can't they be checked in as is, then pre-processed via a script to
>> make any needed changes?  Or does the script that modifies those
>> files also violate the derivative work, since it's sole intent is to
>> modify the CPL files, therefore linked to a derivative work in some
>> strange way.   I would guess that would indicate a patch file, which
>> is a derivative work.  But, that file could also exist outside the
>> realm, which causes problems in itself...
>

> If "they" refers to the unmodified toolkit files, my understanding is
> files under a CPL license, derived or not, can't be checked into apache.

Yes "they" referred to the toolkit files.  I think the point you bring
up about forrest downloaded the toolkit if needed was very good, and yes
this is part of the functionality of plugins.

> I think we just need to keep our "derby stuff" separate from toolkit
> stuff.
>
> It might seem inconvenient to require developers to separately
> download something to build the docs, but, in fact, this is already
> how the derby code works. You check out the code tree and separately
> download the software required to build it.
>
> I've been nosing around the forrest plugins and it looks like a
> forrest plugin could make it easy to download/access files in the
> toolkit. (Plus I spotted the activity at
> http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/forrest-dev/200412.mbox/%3c41B32236.1030904@apache.org%3e

> ). But I confess that many of these details are over my head and I
> don't have bandwidth to unwind and understand them all.

I'm glad you refreshed my memory about that subject.  I was sort of in a
holding pattern due to a couple changes and additions to forrest in the
near future.  From what I think I know, one plug-in is needed for the
functionality to exist.  I don't think this plug-in is finished at the
point, although I haven't been following that thread lately.  Hmmm,
searching brings up fbits being used, so I think I should probably svn
up forrest and check out the changes... :-)

scott