db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: DITA forrest jira
Date Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:12:26 GMT
scott hutinger wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> I asked the derby-ppmc and legal-discuss lists about using the
>> SourceForge DITA Toolkit.
>> I guess there's no issue with just *using* software with a CPL license
>> (for example, lots of apache projects use JUnit, which is also under
>> the CPL).
>> But here's the issue. Files in the Toolkit are meant to be copied,
>> then modified for a specific project, which lets that project override
>> Toolkit defaults. But modifying those files creates derivative works
>> under the CPL and those files can't be checked into an Apache source
>> code repository.
> Can't they be checked in as is, then pre-processed via a script to make
> any needed changes?  Or does the script that modifies those files also
> violate the derivative work, since it's sole intent is to modify the CPL
> files, therefore linked to a derivative work in some strange way.   I
> would guess that would indicate a patch file, which is a derivative
> work.  But, that file could also exist outside the realm, which causes
> problems in itself...

If "they" refers to the unmodified toolkit files, my understanding is
files under a CPL license, derived or not, can't be checked into apache.

I think we just need to keep our "derby stuff" separate from toolkit stuff.

It might seem inconvenient to require developers to separately download
something to build the docs, but, in fact, this is already how the derby
code works. You check out the code tree and separately download the
software required to build it.

I've been nosing around the forrest plugins and it looks like a forrest
plugin could make it easy to download/access files in the toolkit. (Plus
I spotted the activity at

). But I confess that many of these details are over my head and I don't
have bandwidth to unwind and understand them all.

Scott, is there any chance you might be interested in looking into the
feasibility of a forrest dita plugin option? I figured since you're
already on the forrest dev list you might be...

View raw message