db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Single JDK14 compile model?
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 01:30:05 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> I think there are not only maintenance and development issues with
> having multiple branches for the jvm versions,  but usability issues as
> well. Suddenly users have to think of which set of jar files to
> download, we need to document when and why to use which and they may
> need to download a different jar when they upgrade their jvm.     All in
> all I am not a big fan of this proposal.

I believe that the decision to change JVM (be it vendor or version) is a
major decision especially in a production environment. Having to use a
different jar file for the database would be relatively minor concern
given the level of proving that would be done with the new JVM.

Add to that if someone is upgrading JVM version there is a good chance
they are also going to upgrade database version as well, which would be
a different jar anyway.

--
Jeremy