db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Single JDK14 compile model?
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 01:14:54 GMT

> A lot of the problems here arise because we are trying to support 3
> different JVM revision levels with one output JAR. Is this time to
> consider generating multiple output JARs, one for each VM?
>
> This would also allow us to tune the implementations for each VM
> configuration e.g. eliminating code entirely for features not
> supportable/wanted in J2ME environments (reducing the code footprint),
> replacing SANE/INSANE with assertions in 1.4 and up, native support
> for regex using j.u.regex from 1.4, or leveraging features only
> available in JDK1.5 such as j.u.concurrent?
>
> The testing burden for this is no different as production releases
> would need to be tested on all VMs anyway. It is a higher burden for
> developers as fixes would need to be done in all code-lines (assuming
> some divergance).
>
> --
> Jeremy

I think there are not only maintenance and development issues with
having multiple branches for the jvm versions,  but usability issues as
well. Suddenly users have to think of which set of jar files to
download, we need to document when and why to use which and they may
need to download a different jar when they upgrade their jvm.     All in
all I am not a big fan of this proposal.

Thanks

Kathey