db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Where should the DITA source files be checked in?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:02:34 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> - derby/site: Jean had a reason for not keeping them in derby/site. If
> I remember correctly it has to do with forrest, in that the
> documentation on the website should be brought in as a build product
> from elsewhere in order to simplify the website build. she can
> elaborate.

Building the web site is an all or nothing deal -- there's no partial
build. So, every time you do a "forrest site", it regenerates all 748
files that currently comprise the manuals. (And it needs to be this way
because it can be difficult at face value to predict the effect of a
seemingly simple change on other pages in the web site.) Depending on
the specific change, processor speed, memory, and whatever else might be
happening on the system, it can take 15 minutes (2.2 GHz processor / 2
GB ram) or 60 minutes (330 MHz processor / 1 GB ram).

The docs change rarely. It doesn't make sense to regenerate all pages
each time there's a change to the web site. Especially since early
feedback indicated that some users feel that the current organization is
undesirable. For that lengthy thread start at
http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200410.mbox/%3c200410071315.32497.Joel.Rosi-Schwartz@Etish.org%3e

.

Another nit I have is managing such a high number of files in forrest
increases the size and complexity of the forrest site.xml file. For
details, see:
http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200410.mbox/%3c4166D095.70301@bristowhill.com%3e

  -jean