db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From myrna <my...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: JUnit
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:00:38 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>      -  Simple model should lead to significantly faster testing times
>>as the JUnit model is to run the tests within the same JVM. The nist
>>tests run in the exising harness like this and they are significantly
>>faster than they used to be.
>>

>20 passing tests with the Derby test harness - 8m03s
>20 passing tests with JUnit (my quick hack)  - 1m36s
>
>even if the actual JUnit solution was twice as slow it would still be a
>significant time saving.
>
>Anyone who stepped up to take this on would have the gratitude of anyone
>running tests against Derby.
>
>Dan.

Dan,

I'm interested in being involved in this, not necessarily in doing
this... :-)
Those passing tests were .java tests, and it seems our trouble is still
the .sql tests...

Also, does JUnit handle client-server situations like we'd like for
networkserver?

Jeremy,
As I'm not hindered by knowledge of JUnit, I can say that based on what
Dan's been saying the recently contributed unit tests are good ones to
try out with JUnit...They hang only loosely in the current functionTests
framework and their output is only a simple start-stop success/fail.

Myrna