db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Klebanoff <klebanoff-de...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [doc] What should the DITA source produce and how should it be produced?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 01:10:43 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> I'm starting a new topic for questions raised on the thread "[doc]
> Where should the DITA source files be checked in?" -- for the start of
> that thread, see
> http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/%3c42261727.90909@bristowhill.com%3e

> Andrew McIntyre asked:
>
>> This brings up several other question: should we have a copy of the
>> built documentation checked in with the source for developer
>> reference or only keep a copy in derby/site?
>
> It seems sensible to keep a copy of the build doc with the source it
> goes with, but would you just keep the built doc for the Developer's
> Guide?
>
> <snip>

Usually you avoid checking in both source and objects built from the
source. There is difficulty of keeping the two in sync.

I know approximately nothing about DITA and building documentation from
it. Can't we just check in the DITA source and build the documentation
with each build? The documentation should be as much a part of a build
as the jar files.

Jack