db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Where should the DITA source files be checked in?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 00:24:16 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> I think the source DITA files should be checked into the source code
>> tree, under svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/code/trunk/, and
>> any built product (pdf, html) should be checked into the web site
>> under svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/site/trunk .
>

> +1. I think the source for the documentation should be versioned along
> with the code that it documents.

This sounds good to me. If you want to set something up and tell me
where to check files in, I can start importing the DITA files (or you
can, if you prefer, just let me know.)

--Assuming there aren't any objections, of course.

> This brings up several other question: should we have a copy of the
> built documentation checked in with the source for developer reference
> or only keep a copy in derby/site?

If source for docs is versioned then it might be useful to retain the
built doc for it.

> Is there a convenient way for the
> source to live in derby/code/{branch} and also be built by the forrest
> from derby/site?

forrest lets you specify non-default locations, so assume for now that
it would be possible.

I'll argue that forrest shouldn't build the docs, but I'll start a new
[doc] topic that also includes the rest of these questions.

I'd like to get closure if possible on the issue of where to put the
DITA source files. That will help us address Dan's question to Brenda
and Jeff's followup in
http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/%3c20050302154404.78493.qmail@web81610.mail.yahoo.com%3e

:

> Since no-one can see what you actually changed it's hard to see if your
> change is correct.

Brenda could also make a note in Jira as to which specific DITA file
changed, making it easier to verify the fix.

  -jean