db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Krinsky <Anthony.Krin...@businessobjects.com>
Subject pdf documentation on the site
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:33:55 GMT
Please forgive me if this is off-topic.

I am an Hypersonic user and Derby newbie attempting to do a feasibility
analysis for using Derby for a specific customer requirement.  After
spending 2 hours futzing with the DITA pdf "cookbook" on the site I gave up
and solicited Jeff Levitt for the files - he kindly obliged.

At the risk of upsetting DITA folks, there seems to be a principle tested
here to the detriment of potential Derby adopters.  Time spent building
these files could be spent learning and using the product.

Until DITA authoring tools are widely and freely available, and building
DITA projects into PDF files which may be easily printed, is painless, I
would urge the powers that be here to post the PDF files to the site.  Jeff
is self-deprecating about the quality of his XSL output - but I can tell you
his PDFs are much better than the nothing I was printing out yesterday.

IMO, posting PDF files with builds does not in any way detract from the DITA
value-proposition per se.

Thank you kindly,

Anthony