db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [doc] What should the DITA source produce and how should it be produced?
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:49:57 GMT

On Mar 2, 2005, at 8:10 PM, Jack Klebanoff wrote:

> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> I'm starting a new topic for questions raised on the thread "[doc]
>> Where should the DITA source files be checked in?" -- for the start
>> of that thread, see
>> http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/
>> 200503.mbox/%3c42261727.90909@bristowhill.com%3e
>>
>> Andrew McIntyre asked:
>>
>>> This brings up several other question: should we have a copy of the
>>> built documentation checked in with the source for developer
>>> reference or only keep a copy in derby/site?
>>
>> It seems sensible to keep a copy of the build doc with the source it
>> goes with, but would you just keep the built doc for the Developer's
>> Guide?
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Usually you avoid checking in both source and objects built from the
> source. There is difficulty of keeping the two in sync.

This is an argument that rages back and forth :)

The nice thing about checking in the artifacts for docs and website is
that

a) a newbie user getting a tarball or a svn checkout gets to be able to
start reading immediately

b) it makes life really easy when publishing the docs/site online...
no execution - what you see working on your machine is what's going
onto the webserver.

My $0.02

geir

geirm@apache.org