db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Levitt <de...@mylevita.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Where should the DITA source files be checked in?
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 01:09:15 GMT

--- Andrew McIntyre <mcintyre.a@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you know if the license for the DITA DTD's and
> the XSL files that
> should be used to build the final output are
> compatible with the ASL?
>
> andrew

Here is the license that came with the 1.3.1 version
of the toolkit.  I'm not much of a legal expert, so I
figured I'd post it and someone could let us know if
it's good for us to use...sounds like it to me:

IBM DARWIN INFORMATION TYPING ARCHITECTURE
SPECIFICATION AGREEMENT

PLEASE READ THIS IBM DARWIN INFORMATION TYPING
ARCHITECTURE
SPECIFICATION AGREEMENT (called the "Agreement")
CAREFULLY. Your receipt
of the DTD specifications relating to the Darwin
Information Typing
Architecture (the "Specifications") and the associated
documentation
files indicates your acceptance of the following terms
and conditions.
If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, you
may not accept
the Specifications or exercise any of the rights
granted hereunder.

IBM hereby grants to you a worldwide, irrevocable,
royalty free, non-
exclusive license under IBM's copyrights in the
Specifications, to copy,
modify, publish and distribute the Specifications.

No other licenses are granted hereunder by
implication, estoppel or
otherwise.

You agree to distribute the Specifications under a
license agreement
that: 1) is sufficient to notify all licensees of the
Specifications
that IBM assumes no liability for any claim that may
arise regarding the
Specifications; and 2) disclaims all warranties, both
express and
implied, from IBM regarding the Specifications.

IBM encourages your feedback and suggestions and wants
to use your
feedback to improve the Specifications.  You hereby
grant to IBM a
royalty-free, irrevocable license under all
intellectual property rights
(including copyright) to use, copy, distribute,
sublicense, display,
perform and prepare derivative works based upon any
feedback, including
modifications to the Specifications, materials, fixes,
error
corrections, enhancements, suggestions and the like
that you provide to
IBM.  You represent and warrant that you possess the
necessary rights in
the modifications and other feedback you provide to
IBM to grant the
foregoing license.

IBM PROVIDES THE SPECIFICATIONS TO YOU ON AN "AS IS"
BASIS, WITHOUT
WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.   IBM EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL
WARRANTIES AND
CONDITIONS, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT
NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY,
NON-INFRINGEMENT
AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

NEITHER IBM NOR ITS SUPPLIERS WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DIRECT OR INDIRECT
DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS,
LOST SAVINGS, OR
ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR OTHER ECONOMIC
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES,  EVEN
IF IBM IS INFORMED OF THEIR POSSIBILITY.  SOME
JURISDICTIONS DO NOT
ALLOW  THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR
CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION MAY NOT
APPLY TO YOU.

This Agreement does not grant you or your licensees
the right to use any
IBM trademark or name, except for the sole purpose of
providing the
required license disclaimers.

This Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of
New York. You
agree to comply with all applicable laws, rules and
regulations,
including without limitation all export and import
laws, rules and
regulations.

This Agreement is the only understanding and agreement
IBM and you have
regarding your use of the Specifications.  It
supersedes all other
communications, understandings or agreements IBM and
you may have had
prior to this Agreement.