db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Levitt <de...@mylevita.com>
Subject Re: [doc] Where should the DITA source files be checked in?
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:00:05 GMT

--- "Jean T. Anderson" <jta@bristowhill.com> wrote:

> I think the source DITA files should be checked into
> the source code
> tree, under

svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/code/trunk/,
> and
> any built product (pdf, html) should be checked into
> the web site under
> svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/derby/site/trunk
> .
>
> Moving forward I'm eager to avoid regenerating the
> derby manuals each
> time the web site needs to be updated.
>
> thoughts?
>
>   -jean

Sounds as good to me as any place...I think if they
were some place where you didnt have to rebuild them
unless there was a change to them would be best.

When I contribute the dita files for the tools and
utilities guide (very soon), we can start building
html for the DITA sources now, and you could have
Forrest build a nav for them, just like the current
implementation.  The only reason we might want to hold
off on that is that there is no index yet.  Still
working on that (anyone have any xsl experience that
could implement an index? I will continue to work on
it but would love help.  Scott, have you figured
anything out based on the article you found?).  If no
one minds not having an index (we can still use
search), then we could use the DITA docs to create
html for Derby by the end of the week!  That means all
the changes we have made to the DITA for jira issues
etc. would finally be visible in the Derby docs.

We can later continue discussion on PDF's, if we want
to continue using html with forrest or if we would be
even able to move to eclipse, if we want to, etc.