db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "RPost" <rp0...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Single JDK14 compile model?
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 02:42:20 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> To me the big issue is setting expectations with users - are they always
> going to be getting one jar or are they going to be able to choose
> between profiles based on JVM version, platform level, or SQL feature set.
>
> I believe that some features are going to be big and complex (e.g.
> object type support, charsets/collations, geo/spatial, full-text
> indexing, analytics, ...) and very few users will want/need all of
> these. Ultimately we are going to want a mechanism that allows users to
> easily build the module configuration they want.

And I know I am concerned about two types of user.

An 'end user' is going to use a pre-built version of Derby as an embedded
database. These users are concerned about JVM version and the speed and size
of the database and could care less about how many different code bases
might be available.

An 'integrator user' will be doing their own builds. They will be concerned
with what tools and environment are needed to perform the build, where to
get the tools (if the Derby site doesn't, or can't include them all), and
how to customize the build for the intended customer or use.

I'm sick and tired of bloated software such as word processors that have
support for 97 fonts when I only need 3 and can't integrate with
spreadsheets and do charts, etc when I don't need any of those features.
Unfortunately there is no way to strip out the unwanted stuff. One of the
old goals of modular software has long fallen by the wayside with the major
vendors because there is no profit in providing a software update that
includes the new features in a new separate DLL or SO; there is profit in
forcing users to uninstall the old and purchase an entire new version even
when the new version is 95% of what the old one was.

Let's no do that with Derby.