db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "RPost" <rp0...@pacbell.net>
Subject Re: Single JDK14 compile model?
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 01:30:14 GMT
>"Jeremy Boynes" wrote:

> I was under the impression that the entire codebase currently ran under
> 1.3 (with the exception of the stuff specifically compiled for 1.4 which
> can be extracted from the build).

An example of what I meant by how the current codebase breaks out in terms
of JVM version is which specific derby source files will ONLY work with a
specific JVM version. That is, set of source files are currently 1.3
specific, 1.4 specific, etc.

Dan made a comment about a single JVM would need developers to be careful
not to include 1.4 code in classes to be run in J2ME. So my question is -
how would a new contributor know when they are changing code that might be
specific to a particular version..

I like your idea for segmenting the versions in separate jars. I would think
that most installations will only use one version and it makes it easier to
take older versions out of service.