db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Is HSQLDB compatible with ASF license?
Date Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:53:05 GMT
On Feb 10, 2005, at 7:42 AM, Brian McCallister wrote:

> (From general@incubator)
>
> This would rock!
>
> I've switched to Derby for embedded stuff, but the disk io is still to
> slow for decent unit testing. An in-memory flag would be awesome.

Last time I looked at this, the biggest issue was that database
creation was super slow. Once you got the db create the rest went
really fast.  BTW that could have all changed since then.  Before
anyone investigates in-memory, I'd time what is really slow and maybe
just fix that little issue.  For example, maybe there could be a create
a quick and dirty database (on disk) flag.

> HSQLDB is great for unit testing as it supports completely in-memory
> database instances. They are extremely fast, and are implicitely
> destroyed when the last connection is closed, so you can create the
> database, create the schema, hold the connection, run tests against
> in-memory db, then close the connection, destroying the database --
> for each test case and still have it be very fast.

That auto destroy "feature" is really annoying.  You have this problem
where you database just disappears by accident. I prefer an explicit
shutdown and delete.

-dain