db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Overly conservative on reserved words?
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:01:21 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Reserving additional words from the second group poses a bigger issue as
> users' may have databases out there already using these words as
> identifiers. The smoothest path is probably to give people an indication
> of which words will need to be reserved at some point and hence should
> be avoided; it is better for us to do this earlier than later.

Actually having even keywords defined as reserved by the SQL Standard
reserved in Derby has caused problems. I recently changed LOCAL not to
be a reserved word as other databases do not enforce it. We probably
need some set rules, but reserving because the SQL standard says so it
not the approach taken by other products.

Dan.