db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: SQL identifier lengths
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:55:32 GMT
thomas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i tried to use Derby as backend for the DaisyWiki CMS, because i'd like
> to get an solution. Currently Daisy only supports MySQL, with PostgreSQL
> being in the works. The main problem i ran into was the very constrained
> length of SQL identifiers in Derby.
>
> I found this issue on the ToDo-List
> (<http://incubator.apache.org/derby/DerbyToDo.html>, Increased SQL
> identifier lengths) and also a discussion-thread which seemed to come to
> a consensus that support for longer SQL identifier should be added,
> since it wouldn't break backward-compatibility with DB2 but improve
> support for the SQL-standard
> <http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200409.mbox/%3c8D5A122E-09AB-11D9-8965-000A95782782@apache.org%3e>.
>

> Although this sounds quite promising to me, it seems like there hasn't
> been a vote taken  until now and nobody is working on it. Is this
> correct? Or are there any estimates possible on when a patch will be
> available? Or how much work it would be to develop that patch oneself -
> given some experience with java but none with Derby or other
> java-SQL-databases?

The patch already exists, but it doesn't pass the tests cleanly. Some
work is needed to ensure the test outputs are correct and re-issue the
patch with the changes to the tests. The orignal patch is here:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=derby-dev@db.apache.org&msgNo=1377

and my latest comments on it.

http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200502.mbox/%3c42026E14.8000007@debrunners.com%3e

Dan.