db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dibyendu Majumdar <dibye...@mazumdar.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: code organization
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:15:28 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Does the current directory structure cause problems with IDEs such as
> Eclipse or Netbeans, don't their indexing and search mechanisms mean
> that a developer doesn't have to traverse trees?

Dan,

IDEs do help, but I found that they cannot always tell you what the
implementation of an interface is. For example, if I point the cursor at
a method, it will show the comments associated with that method. But
this is usually an interface, and if I want to see the implementation, I
have to do a search to find out.

For this reason, I decided to generate Javadoc documentation so that I
could use Javadoc's ability to list out implementations, etc.

I wish that the interfaces and implementations were packaged close
together - like org.package.module for interface, and
org.package.module.impl for implementations. This would have made it
easier to find the relevant implementations. The problem with current
structure is that one has to navigate down two different directories.

> Instead of moving code around to an alternate convention (I_/Impl class
> name tags iapi/impl packages) that as you say gains no functional value,
> I would prefer to see activity around reducing footprint by removing the
> iapi/impl split and merging classes in *some* situations.

I would argue that we should leave things as they are for the time
being, as changing things will make it harder for anyone trying to
understand the code. Stability is important for anyone trying to follow
the code.

Regards

Dibyendu