db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Derby architecture/design documents
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:44:59 GMT
I think the only hope hear is to define the terms and then document
what derby does in reference to them.  Philip's definitions seem
reasonable.  Here is what derby supports in those terms.

1) Derby fully supports crash recovery, it uses java to correctly
   sync the log file to support this.

2) I would say derby supports media recovery.  One can make a backup of
   the data and store it off line.  Logs can be stored on a separate
   disk from the data, and if you lose your data disk then you can use
   rollforward recovery on the existing logs and the copy of the backup
   to bring your database up to the current point in time.

3) Derby does not support "point in time recovery".  Someone may want to
   look at this in the future.  Technically I don't think it would be
   very hard as the logging system has the stuff to solve the hard
   problems.  It does not have an idea about "time" - it just knows log
   sequence numbers, so need to figure out what kind of interface a user
   really wants.  A very user unfriendly interface would not be very
   hard to implement which would be recover to a specific log sequence
   number.  Anyone interested in this feature should add it to jira -
   I'll be happy to add technical comments on what needs to be done.

4) A reasonable next step in derby recovery progress would be to add a
   way to automatically move/copy log files offline as they are not
   needed by crash recovery and only needed for media recovery.  Some
   sort of java stored procedure callout would seem most appropriate.

/mikem