db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [WEB] Derby web site layout
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:10:35 GMT
Susan Cline wrote:

> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> I set up a skeletal test site here that doesn't have the bulk of the
>> derby web site:
>>    http://incubator.apache.org/derby/DerbyTest/
>> It shows a couple options:
>> (1) Splits the Community and Integration categories into two tabs
>> (2) Adds two subtabs to the Papers tab. I don't have this working
>> quite right yet; when you click on one of the subtabs, it loses the
>> focus of the Papers tab.
>> [snip]
> I like option (1) a lot ... however I wouldn't want to have more than
> the 5 tabs (maybe 6 at the most) across the top.  Otherwise I think it
> gets too distracting.

Depending on the browser, tabs might not be accessible if they exceed
the width of the available real estate. To see what I mean, reduce the
hortizontal width of your browser. With firefox I end up with tabs I
can't get to. In IE, the tabs pile up in front and I can still select them.

> I don't like option (2) - I think the 'End User' and 'Developer' links
> look stunted and distracting.  Is it possible to have some way to
> delineate the papers tab itself for 'End User' and 'Developer' - and
> then have the topics for each under those?

It looks clunky in my opinion, or at least it does with the default
skin. It might be one of those things that can be tweaked.

However, moving the Integration topic out of the Papers tab de-clutters
it and perhaps that's all that is really needed.

> Thanks for doing the mock-up ... I think it helps people to understand
> what it will look like a lot better than trying to explain it :-)

Keep the comments coming, everyone!

View raw message