db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Levitt <jlev...@mutagen.net>
Subject [doc] PHP and our documentation?
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:01:52 GMT
One idea I was thinking about recently might improve
the documentation more efficiently.  Once we decide on
how to display the docs on the Derby site (whether we
use an Eclipse infocenter or Forrest or some other
method), we could use a script to insert PHP into the
topic files so that users browsing our documentation
could add comments dynamically to the topics.  I got
this idea because PHP's own documentation implements
this exact function, and they use their own product to
do it.  If you look at any page in their
documentation, you'll see an "Add note" link at the
bottom of the page that links to this form:

http://www.php.net/manual/add-note.php?

I don't know PHP, and I dont know the limits and
restrictions on the servers that host our files at
Apache, so I can't say that I know the technical
details of a project like this.  But it seems like it
could be easy enough.

An even more useful idea might be to add a button to
the bottom of each topic that allows users to open up
a jira issue on that topic.  Clicking the button opens
a Jira issue form that is already populated with the
topic title, id, and DITA source file, as well as the
component being selected as a doc bug.  The user would
need only describe the actual problem and submit the
form, provided they are already registered and logged
in with JIRA.

If we don't want to go that far, then maybe we just
add links to the bottom of each page that allow users
to post to this list or the Derby users list directly
from an online form.

Just brainstorming.  What do people think of these
ideas?  Yes they are just ideas now but from a logical
point of view they don't seem to be too hard to
implement, and I would be happy to explore them in
more depth...