db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Dibyendu Majumdar" <dibye...@mazumdar.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Derby architecture/design documents
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:43:01 GMT
From: "Suresh Thalamati" <suresh.thalamati@gmail.com>

>  >>Derby implements the Write Ahead Log using a non-circular file system
> file. At present, there is no support for incremental log backup or
> media recovery. Only crash recovery is supported.
>
> I think derby does support simple media recovery.  It has support for
> full backup/restore and very basic form of  rollforward recovery (replay
> of logs using backup and archived log files).

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose that we should define media recovery and
crash recovery. My understanding is that media recovery is when you have
lost your logs as
well, whereas crash recovery is when the logs are intact. In case of media
recovery,
does Derby know how to locate the last checkpoint record/log file?

Regards