db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Derby architecture/design documents
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:31:28 GMT
Dibyendu Majumdar's doc on "Derby On Disk Page Format" is now live at
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/pageformats.html.

Dibyendu, for the moment I added it to the "Derby Engine" category on
the Paper's tab.

In about an hour -- I hope :-) --  I'm going to post a mock-up of what
the Derby site would look like with more tabs in response to two posts
last week.

(1) Kevin Foster posted this to derby-user:

> I understand that with the newer version of Forrest being used for the
> Derby pages, it would be possible to add more tabs across the top
> without impacting the layout of the content below the tabs.
>
> If that's true, what do people think of the idea of changing the set
> of tabs to the following:
>
>     Home    Community   Manuals   Papers   Integration
>
> I think that's there enough content and usefulness on Community and
> Integration to make them tabs in their own right.

(2) Dan Debrunner posted this to derby-dev:

>Is it possible to get the > Community tab to be expanded on the home
>page as well as the > Derby tab?

So Dan was reacting to the forrest 0.6 collapsible menus. Forrest 0.6
doesn't support turning that feature off, though we could modify the
forrest skin to get the behavior we want. --I don't much like the idea
of modifying the skin ourselves because I'd rather that it be easy for
people to check the derby web site out of svn, download forrest, and
build the site with the defaults. But if anyone feels strongly about
modifying the skin, speak up!

At any rate, Kevin's suggestion would be a way to address Dan's point.

Forrest 0.6 also has an easy sub-tab feature.  I want to show what tabs
and subtabs look like, then ask people for feedback on how they want the
web site to be organized.

 -jean