db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <...@www.mprojects.Horrabin.wiu.edu>
Subject Re: [doc] DITA files PDF output
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:12:00 GMT
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> scott hutinger wrote:

>> One question I haven't asked about pdf output.  What is the default
>> output in terms of fonts/styles etc for docs?  Does IBM have a
>> standard they use, or is it related to something else?  I'm certain
>> that some type of output specs exist that have been found to create
>> good output.  I haven't looked around for this information, as I
>> think it would take a while to find good information on this.  I
>> would guess that we might need to find font(s) that everyone can
>> build the docs with.
>> <snip />
>

> What do the users want?
> Do folks want to download the DITAs and build PDFs themselves?
> Or download the built PDFs?

Good question.  I think if it looks good to them, then they wouldn't
download the docs to build.  In the past I always shunned away from doc
building and just wanted to see the final output.  Although that was
back a few years before some of this cooler stuff was around.

Also, don't forget the includes are OS dependant \ != /  or a \ does not
work when a / is wanted.  So unless some other option I don't know about
exists, then a / and \ version would need to be downloaded.  I would
think this issue would have caused enough problems that some flag exists
to fix this.

A note about fonts.  I have tried looking at the output getstart.pdf on
a coupld different machines and os's.  It seems on all but one machine,
helvetica was replaced by Arial of some type.  This is a bit confusing,
as the fop site seems to say that helvetica is the base font that
everything has.  I'll have to look on a OS X machine that was displaying
some other docs I transformed yestereday (not dita) and replaced
helvitica with Arial; it looked really bad.

> I'm going to hazard a guess that a few might want to download and
> build themselves and most will want to download the already built PDF,
> but I could be wrong. We need feedback from the community.
>
> DERBY-79 (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-79) might be a
> good starting point for tracking requirements as they get nailed down.
> It doesn't specify fonts/styles ... at least not yet!

Thanks for bring that up.  You might want to have this on the website
(DERBY-79) so others can input without the need to search.

> I'm not quite sure how the best way to handle this is. Should we post
> a "[doc] What do you want the PDF format for manuals to be?" to
> derby-dev? or to derby-user? then report results back to derby-dev? or
> record results in DERBY-79?

A good idea, but I think the font issues need to be investigated a bit.
I'll try to get some more information on the helvetica replacement.
Although on all but one machine, the output looked good with the font
replacement.

scott