db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: [doc] DITA files PDF output
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:03:29 GMT
scott hutinger wrote:

> One question I haven't asked about pdf output.  What is the default
> output in terms of fonts/styles etc for docs?  Does IBM have a
> standard they use, or is it related to something else?  I'm certain
> that some type of output specs exist that have been found to create
> good output.  I haven't looked around for this information, as I think
> it would take a while to find good information on this.  I would guess
> that we might need to find font(s) that everyone can build the docs with.
> <snip />

What do the users want?
Do folks want to download the DITAs and build PDFs themselves?
Or download the built PDFs?

I'm going to hazard a guess that a few might want to download and build
themselves and most will want to download the already built PDF, but I
could be wrong. We need feedback from the community.

DERBY-79 (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-79) might be a good
starting point for tracking requirements as they get nailed down. It
doesn't specify fonts/styles ... at least not yet!

I'm not quite sure how the best way to handle this is. Should we post a
"[doc] What do you want the PDF format for manuals to be?" to derby-dev?
or to derby-user? then report results back to derby-dev? or record
results in DERBY-79?

I'm not trying to overly complicate it. I'm just wondering what the best
way is to hear from the most users in the community.

 -jean