db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <s-hutin...@wiu.edu>
Subject Re: [doc] DITA files PDF output
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2005 23:04:57 GMT
Hi Jean,

I think posting a pdf would be a good idea for people to look at the
output etc without the need to build it.

One question I haven't asked about pdf output.  What is the default
output in terms of fonts/styles etc for docs?  Does IBM have a standard
they use, or is it related to something else?  I'm certain that some
type of output specs exist that have been found to create good output.
I haven't looked around for this information, as I think it would take a
while to find good information on this.  I would guess that we might
need to find font(s) that everyone can build the docs with.

It looks like Helvetica is used for everything within the xslt scripts,
with sizes of 30, 24, 20, 16,11, 8.
http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html  has a bit more information on
fonts related to FOP.

Something I found out today.  Transforming a doc on OS X, the Helvetica
fonts were using Arial instead.  I noticed the generated PDF Jeff has on
the site also shows this when using Acrobat under x86Linux.  On OSX the
transformed document we created today looked really bad.  When I
generated the same thing on x86 linux, it looked great.  I am new to
transformations through FOP etc, so am a bit uncertain about some of
this.  I tried going to the adobe site that FOP points to and
registered, but of course nothing works.  I'll get back to that again.
But, I am a bit uncertain as to the Used font being different that the
Original Font?  I do know in postscript that  if a font is not available
jump to the next font, so I would guess this is the same.  FOP says
Helvetica is standard, but it doesn't seem to be used.
Also, I think the PDF viewer has a bit to do with what the PDF looks
like.  As  acrobat and  gnome-nautilus  have a bit of difference in the
view.

I don't think the docs look all that bad, just some cleaning up and
trying to figure out some of the mysteries of PDF output :-)

thanks,
scott