db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmars...@Sourcery.Org>
Subject Re: Cannot connect a second time to an embedded Cloudscape/Derby DB (2)
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:35:15 GMT

Thomas Neumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since I had problems with our local mailer daemon to confirm my
> subscription to the derby mailing list I do not know if this mail was
> send to the other list members. So this actually the second trial to
> send this mail. Sorry for any inconvenience if you have received this
> mail twice.
>
> I have a problem with the embedded Cloudscape/Derby version on Windows
> in my maven build script. This build script uses the maven hibernate
> plug in to create the dbms. The connection URL for the db is
> jdbc:derby:db/derby/dmstest;create=true
> This works fine. Afterwards when the schema creation is finished in a
> second step unit tests should run on this db using the same connection
> URL. They fail with the following exception.
>
> Caused by: SQL Exception: Failed to start database 'db/derby/dmstest',
> see the next exception for details.
> at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Util.java)
> at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Util.java)
> at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Util.java)
> at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.newSQLException(EmbedConnection.java)

> at

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.bootDatabase(EmbedConnection.java)

> at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.(EmbedConnection.java)
> at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection20.(EmbedConnection20.java)
> at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30.(EmbedConnection30.java)
> at org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver30.getNewEmbedConnection(Driver30.java)
> at org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver169.connect(Driver169.java)
> at org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver.connect(EmbeddedDriver.java)
> at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.JDBCTask.getConnection(JDBCTask.java:342)
>
> This is the same exception as if a second JVM is running with an
> embedded Cloudscape/Derby instance in it already accessing the same
> database. But I sware there is no second JVM running.
>
> Another curiosity on this, the same build script is running on a linux
> box without any problems.
>
> I'm using windows xp pro, JDK 1.4.2-06 and Cloudscape/Derby 10 for this
> scenario
>
> Can anybody give me a hint or knows a workaround for this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance

If the initial jvm is still running you need to take care to shutdown
the derby database properly.  To do this you should connect with:
jdbc:derby:db/derby/dmstest;shutdown=true

or to shutdown derby completely
jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true

There have been issues in the past with the db.lck file getting cleaned
up properly otherwise on Linux/Unix I think, but I thought that was
fixed in 1.4.2.

I will cc derby-dev so someone with more knowledge on the issue can
comment.

Thanks

Kathey