db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Derby architecture/design documents
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:13:21 GMT
Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

>Jean wrote:
>

>>If you'd like to store them on the derby web site, I'll be happy to make
>>them available. Or other commiters can commit them and I'll do the
>>'forrest site' to add them to the built site.
>>

>Okay - should I send each document to this list as I go along?
>If I write them up in simple HTML, would that be acceptable? I will
>add diagrams to illustrate concepts as my own understanding improves.

Posting the document to derby-dev is best. So far I'm the only one doing
a 'forrest site' to build the site, but I'm hoping that will change!  :-)

This page suggests a few formats:
http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/index.html#How+to+Contribute+Papers

The main thing to decide is if you want the paper to be a stand alone
doc on the web site or if you want it incorporated into the web site
with forrest-generated menus.

Stand alone documents are the least work and are the easiest to add to
the site because they aren't integrated. Here's an example of what I
mean by stand alone:

    http://incubator.apache.org/derby/DOTS_Derby.html

Integrating html files into the web site are more work; here are two
examples of what I mean:

   http://incubator.apache.org/derby/DerbyToDo.html
   http://incubator.apache.org/derby/papers/JDBCImplementation.html

If you want the paper to be integrated into the site, the easiest
approach is a very, very simple html file. (Such a file actually gets
added to the forrest src tree as an ihtml file.) Don't include a table
of contents because Forrest generates a table of contents for you based

tags, you really don't even need to specify any fonts -- forrest will
produce something based on the site siteup.

I have had no success incorporating html files generated by Microsoft
Word -- so far the forrest result has been a blank page. I have had
mixed results incorporating html files generated by Open Office. The
DerbyToDo.html was easily integrated and I suspect that was because it
started as an Open Office document. Header info in the
JDBCImplementation.html file suggests it was originally created by
Microsoft Word, then converted to Open Office ... and it was something
of a format mess.

So, if you want to integrate an html file into the web site, simplest is
best.

>BTW, I am doing this in my spare time, so you are most likely to hear from
>me between 22:00 and 01:00 hrs GMT.

No problem! And everyone appreciates whatever effort you can devote to it.

 -jean