db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject "Cosmetic" changes
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 06:18:18 GMT
In another thread, Dan wrote:
"I also removed the modifications to TableName from the patch as they
were only cosmetic."

Not referring to these particular changes, but I'd like to open a
discussion on other "cosmetic" changes. Digging through the codebase, I
often see warnings or errors reported by my IDE (IdeaJ) for things like
unused variables or methods, bad JavaDoc tags, unused imports, and so
forth.

One annoyance here is separating these from genuine errors that occur as
you are making changes, or as the IDE is adding markers for usages etc.

I would like to propose a gradual clean-up of these issues - a kind of
"cosmetic" patch process which does not change any functionality but
just tidies up code. One rule would be that these type of changes would
not be mixed in with real patches for bug fixes or new features (which
would fit with removing them from the Derby-13 patch).

How do people feel about this?
--
Jeremy