db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Versioning, contents of STATUS and CHANGES files
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:04:35 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>

>>>Have there been no changes to the code since the release of 10.0.2.1?
>>>If there have been, they should be getting recorded in the trunk/CHANGES
>>>file, at the top, under a heading such as
>>>
>>>Changes in Derby 10.0.2.2-dev
>>>
>>>(or whatever version number is being used/embedded to identify
>>>the code as alpha/beta).  At the 10.0.2.2 release, that gets altered
>>>to 'Changes with 10.0.2.2' and a new 'Changes with 10.0.2.3-dev'
>>>heading is started above it.  Otherwise the CHANGES file won't change
>>>except at releases, which is a disservice to people observing or
>>>getting involved in the development mid-stream.
>

> Can the contents of the CHANGES files (for the trunk and each branch) be
> created automatically from the svn commit log. It's a little tedious and
> error prone to have to update something manually, when it could be
> automated.

Rather than the commit log, I would suggest generating from the Jira
entries associated with a release. You can also have a Jira digest
mailed out periodically summarizing progress to date. This does rely on
having Jira entries associated with work done but that is probably a
good thing anyway.

The concern I have using the commit log is that larger changes may get
spread over multiple commits (early, often) which the reader then has to
stitch back together. Not really an issue for changes that are fairly
atomic bug-fixes, but more of a challenge when planning a release with
some really big features.

--
Jeremy