db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mamta Satoor <ma...@Remulak.Net>
Subject Re: Truncation error w/ INSERT stmt using blob concatenation...
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 07:22:15 GMT

Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Army wrote:
> [...]
> > This is where my uncertainty begins.  It seems to me that, in the above
> > reproduction, "the declared length" would be 100K and the length of the
> > host variable would be 32700.  In that case, since 32700 < 100K, this
> > should be a valid insertion.  But since the variable is rejected, either
> > 1) I'm misinterpreting what the "declared length" is, or 2) the declared
> > length is not being calculated correctly (it's being set to 32672 when
> > it _should_ be 100K).
>
> I think the issue/bug is that the contactenated operator is resulting in
> a type of VARCHAR(32762) FOR BIT DATA, not BLOB. Or maybe the type of
> the ? is mapped to VARCHAR(32762) FOR BIT DATA. I wonder what the type
> of the ? parameter should be with your statement?
>
> Dan.

The issue here is that the ? parameter is getting bound to VARCHAR() FOR BIT DATA with
length of 32672bytes. This binding happens in ConcatenationOperatorNode.bindExpression()
at line number # 162 as copied below
   if (leftOperand.getTypeId().isBitTypeId())
   {
    rightType = TypeId.getBuiltInTypeId(Types.VARBINARY);
   }

The truncation exception at pSt.execute() is really caused by pSt.setBytes(1, bData);
which is trying to put 32700bytes into parameter which can only take 32672 bytes. If the
code snippet from Army is changed to cast ? to BLOB, the concatenation would
succeed.
   PreparedStatement pSt = con.prepareStatement(
            "insert into bt values (cast (x'1010' as blob) || cast(? as blob))");

So, as Dan mentioned, what should be the type of the ? parameter? Rather than
getting set to VARCHAR FOR BIT DATA, should it always be set to BLOB, if
the other operand of concatenation operator is bit type?

Thought? Comments?
Mamta