db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Cosmetic" changes
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:53:48 GMT

On Jan 21, 2005, at 12:22 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> B) Re-formatting. Changes in this group are a nightmare. :-(
> Because everyone has a different idea of what the correct formatting
> is.
> It also tends to make life difficult for someone who is modifying the
> file as any format cleanup will tend to cause merge failures.
> I'm loathe to even raise this because of the endless discussions that
> can ensue.

I have had good experience with creating an ant task which reformats
whole codebase and dictating that it be run before checkins.

This has a few benefits:

* Anyone can use their auto-reformat to format however they like when
they work, and still bring it back to standard on checkin.

* Formatting changes are left out of diffs/updates even when it is
otherwise unchanged but near changed code

* Ends the fight once and for all =)

Using SVN it is even nicer as it uses hashes to determine file changes
instead of timestamps (this is painful under CVS as it uses timestamps,
so it always looks like everything has changed).

-Brian