db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Felipe Leme <jakartalis...@felipeal.net>
Subject Re: Contributing with patches
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 01:41:34 GMT
On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 23:17, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Is submitting patches against the trunk a good guideline in general?

It depends on the project. For instance, if the 10.0 is merely a
snapshot of a release and will be barely maintained because the main
developing is on the trunk, than it's better to submit the patches to
the trunk. I believe derby is following this approach (as I updated both
branches recently and only the trunk had changes).

On the other hand, if the 10.0 and trunk will be developed in parallel,
than it's better to add the patches to the 10.0 and from time to time
merge the changes back to the trunk (for instance, when a new release is
tagged). That's the approach taken by the maven project, for instance:
the stable branch is the 1.0 (currently maven 1.0.2), while the
development of new features is done on the branch/1.1. So, all bug fixes
and general enhancements are made against the 1.0 branch and when a
1.0.x version is released, they are merged back to the trunk.

> should any other guidelines/tips be added?

Independently of which approach Derby is taking, it should be documented
which branch to use.

-- Felipe