db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: Derby documentation in XML DITA
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:27:18 GMT
scott hutinger <s-hutinger@wiu.edu> wrote on 06/12/2004 05:21:24 PM:

> sissonj@insession.com wrote:
>
> >scott hutinger <s-hutinger@wiu.edu> wrote on 06/12/2004 11:38:59 AM:
> >

> >>I haven't followed that entire thread, nor can I find that thread
> >>currently.  But, a log plugin; which I think? followes which files
have
> >>changed, has been developed using java.util.logging.  I think it
allows
> >>forrest to know which files have changed but I think it runs on a
> >>dynamic site, and I am uncertain if the loging plugin is hooked into
> >>forrest for this yet.
> >>
> >>I will keep my eyes on that and research it a bit.
> >>
> >>Also, I am uncertain about the release date of 0.7.  I think Jean has
> >>the docs up to spec for 0.6, which I think is needed for 0.7.  Cocoon
> >>had a problem creating some graphic files which would create errors in

> >>site logs, that was fixed in cocoon, but I don't know if forrest
updated

> >>cocoon with 6.0 after the release.  I can look into that on monday.
> >>
> >>scott
> >>

> >Refer to the links in the comments of the following JIRA issue:
> >
> >http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-79
> >
> >It would be nice if the JIRA issue is used to record progress on the
> >documentation.
> >

> Thanks for pointing this out.  What did you have in mind for the search
> on a pc?  I was wondering if you were thinking of  something like the
> adobe extensible metadata platform, or something like that?  I really
> haven't looked at pdf search techniques.  I guess someone could attach
> derby to pdf files somehow :-)
>
> scott
>
> >Thanks,
> >
> >John

Hi Scott,

I haven't spent any time with cocoon, FOP etc, but I have seen other
commercial software products provide a PDF document for each of their
manuals and a searchable index that covers all the manuals.

I'm not sure if any of the open source PDF file generation solutions
provide something like:
http://www.adobe.co.uk/epaper/tips/acr5search/main.html

I wasn't trying to suggest that Derby be somehow used to search PDF
documentation (not sure if that is what you thought I said)..

I would like the ability to search within acrobat reader across the
different derby manuals and also have the ability to have links from one
manual to the other (as I found I had to refer to more than one manual to
perform some Derby tasks).

The following page describes the search functionality and it also
mentioned PDF metadata (that you mentioned), so it sounds like you might
have given yourself away as the PDF expert :-)

http://www.planetpdf.com/enterprise/article.asp?ContentID=6521

Cheers,

John