db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Two poorly optimized functions in SQLParser.java
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:26:09 GMT
On Dec 27, 2004, at 1:14 PM, RPost wrote:

> Now your the one that's kidding right?
>
> You gave a great answer. Too bad it wasn't related to the question.
>
> Which was:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the JavaCC process
>> used to produce SQLParser.java?
>
> I will assume your answer to that one is 'no'.

Actually, I have extensive experience with javacc, but as Daniel
pointed out it is a waste of time and effort to optimize non-critical
code paths.  Basically, you have a trade off between fast code and
complex code (i.e. more expensive to maintain and improve), so unless
it affects real world performance, I personally will always choose the
simple code.

-dain