db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mamta Satoor <ma...@Remulak.Net>
Subject Re: Running Rowsets tests against Derby database
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:59:26 GMT
Hi John,

My SQL standards is dated March 1999. Not sure what you have, but if you
don't have the same one, I think searching for updatable/insensitive might get
following hits in your doc too.

In section 4.29 Cursors -
A cursor is either updatable or not updatable. If the table identified by a curosr is
not updatable or if INSENSITIVE is specified for the cursor, then the cursors
is not updatable; otherwise, the cursor is updatable.

Also, later on, in the 14.1 <declare cursor> section, under syntax rule,
10) says If <updatablility clause> is not specified, then:
a)If either INSENSITIVE,SCROLL, or ORDER BY is specified, or if
QE is not a simply updatable table, then an <updatablility clause> of
READ ONLY is implicit.

Mamta

John Kline wrote:

> Hi Mamta,
>
> Could you help point me to where SQL standards state updatable
> insensitive resultsets are not supported?  In practice, I believe it is
> supported.  I just tried Oracle with no problems.  I'll try the other
> usual suspects when I have time.
>
> - John
>
> On Dec 20, 2004, at 2:00 PM, John Kline wrote:
>
> > Hi Mamta,
> >
> >> Keep in mind though that Derby at this point does not
> >> support scrollable sensitive cursors. Derby has support for forward
> >> only resultsets and scroll insensitive resultsets, both in read only
> >> mode.
> >
> > So Derby supports forward only and scroll insensitive resultsets and
> > you are working on only supporting CONCUR_UPDATABLE on forward only
> > result sets.  Correct?  I think we need to support both.  In most
> > cases, one will want CONCUR_UPDATABLE for scrollable resultsets.  Do
> > you know of anyone working on this?  Does anyone if any work is taking
> > place in this area?
> >
> > - John
> >
> > On Dec 20, 2004, at 1:41 PM, Mamta Satoor wrote:
> >
> >> Hi John,
> >>
> >> Yes, my patch on the list supports CONCUR_UPDATABLE
> >> for forward only result sets.
> >>
> >> I am not currently looking at working on scrollable updatable
> >> resultsets. Keep in mind though that Derby at this point does not
> >> support scrollable sensitive cursors. Derby has support for forward
> >> only resultsets and scroll insensitive resultsets, both in read only
> >> mode.
> >>
> >> Mamta.

JDBC Rowsets

RowSets