db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <s-hutin...@wiu.edu>
Subject [doc] Re: Derby documentation in XML DITA
Date Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:19:31 GMT
I wasn't clear what the bat files were doing with the command 'saxon'.
This is due to the command being instant saxon, which is a stripped down
version of saxon (only in terms of samples, source, documentation ).  So
saxon.exe is the xslt processor according to the web site.

I didn't have time last week to follow what 'saxon.exe' was; so got the
bat files modified, but got lost on the saxon command.

You were saying that the pdf file output was rather bad.  I wasn't
certain if this was due to missing items that need to be in the final
document, or if it was something else?  I have been a bit busy getting
some information needed in some different areas so I could be a bit more
fluent in this area.

scott

Jeff Levitt wrote:

> [...]
>saxon install directory, and place the getting started
>guide dita files in a directory called
>"gettingstartedguide".  Also, place the dita package
>files in the saxon hierarchy.  For example, place the
>xsl files from the dita package in an xsl directory
>right there in the saxon install directory.  Then just
>run the batch files from the command line.  Here's a
>description of each batch file:
>
>ditahtml.bat
>This one creates xhtml, and also an html table of
>contents file called getstartmap.htm that you can use
>to navigate the xhtml files.  The batch file creates a
>temporary file during the transform process that
>basically removes a part of one of the xsl files that
>was causing some formatting problems in some of the
>reference topics.
>
>ditaeclipse.bat
>This one creates the same xhtml files as the last one,
>but it then creates an xml table of contents, instead
>of the html one.  This is ideal for creating an entire
>set for use with an Eclipse infocenter.
>
>I wanted to create a batch file for the PDF transform,
>but for some reason, I'm having problems with the
>topicmerge.xsl file in my batch files.  This is a
>necessary step in order to create one PDF file for the
>entire book instead of many.  The problems with the
>topicmerge.xsl file also prevent me from making a
>batch file to create one large html file for the
>entire book.  The problem seems to be that the result
>of the topicmerge transform is a dita file that looks
>invalid.  If someone wants to play around with this,
>if you are more successful than me then please post
>any solutions you find!  I'm going to continue to play
>with it and see if I can get a working transform.
>
>Finally, Scott mentioned errors in the html output.
>The first one, as he mentioned, is the missing
>parent-child links problem.  The only other problem
>I've found is that any links to other topics have
>trouble pulling the names out of the conrefs file.  So
>for example, if there is a topic that is called
>"Welcome to Derby", it pulls the word "Derby" from the
>gsconrefs.dita file perfectly, but if another topic
>tries to link to that topic, the link says "Welcome to
>" with the word Derby missing.

>@echo off
>

>echo writing temporary file..
>if exist TEMPyfsd89.XSL del TEMPyfsd89.XSL
>echo ^<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?^> >>TEMPyfsd89.XSL
>echo ^<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" >>TEMPyfsd89.XSL
>echo                 xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"^> >>TEMPyfsd89.XSL
>echo ^<xsl:import href="xsl/map2EclipseAll.xsl" /^> >>TEMPyfsd89.XSL
>echo ^<xsl:template name="gen-sect-ptoc"^> >>TEMPyfsd89.XSL
>echo   ^<!-- no ptoc necessary --^> >>TEMPyfsd89.XSL
>echo ^</xsl:template^> >>TEMPyfsd89.XSL
>echo ^</xsl:stylesheet^> >>TEMPyfsd89.XSL
>
>echo running XSLT..
>saxon -o getstartmap.htm -w1 "gettingstartedguide/getstartderby.ditamap" TEMPyfsd89.XSL
SRCEXT=dita