db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <tsur...@Source-Zone.org>
Subject Re: alligned Vs Non Alligned log writes ..
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:27:38 GMT

Jan Hlavatý wrote:

>Suresh Thalamati wrote:
>

>>It would be great if  some one can run this test on other platforms and
>>post the results to the list.
>>

>I have added display of percentual difference to make it easier to look at.
>Results vary a lot, so dont take it for absolute.
>
>Heres what I got on my Linux (FC3, Celeron 800, 512MB, 2 IDE DISK RAID1 ext3 fs)

Thanks Jan. The numbers you got seems to show real performance gain with
aligned writes.
Test run by Dan & Sunitha & myself does not seem to show similar gain. I
wonder if  this
is anything to do with your disk being RAID ?

--what JVM are you running the test on  ?
--is Write cache enabled/disabled  for the disk ?
--what is the cache size on the disk ?

Thanks
-suresht