db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Susan Cline <...@MeepZor.Com>
Subject Derby Logo?
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:49:52 GMT
Hi,

I thought it would be a lot of fun and increase awareness around Derby
if we had an official "mascot" or logo that represented Apache Derby.

I'd like to propose we have a logo contest where folks can submit
entries to come up with an image for Derby.

I've looked around at the SpamAssassin, Geronimo and FOP sites to see
how they conducted their logo contests.

SpamAssassin logo site: http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/LogoContest
Geronimo logo site:http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/LogoContest
Fop logo site: http://xml.apache.org/fop/logocontest.html

Looking through their sites some of them had design requirements for the
image produced.  For instance, SpamAssassin did not necessarily want
images of "blood or death" associated with their logo.  What about for
Derby - do we want the 'Derby' name in the logo?

Do we want to have any design requirements or restrictions on the image
we choose for Derby, or shall we leave it wide open?
What does a Derby  look like?  ;-)

What about  integrating the Apache feather image into the logo somehow?

Some other questions to consider:

   Do we want the images in a specific format?
     Some of the other projects had an SVG format requirement.

   How should we submit our images?
    To the mailing list(s) or upload them ... etc?

   Who will judge the entries?
    Everyone gets an equal vote and this determines the winner?
    Everyone gets a vote but a subset of folks pick the winner?
    Other thoughts?

What do folks think?  Shall we have a contest?

Susan