db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From scott hutinger <s-hutin...@wiu.edu>
Subject Re: Derby documentation in XML DITA
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:14:39 GMT
sissonj@insession.com wrote:

>scott hutinger <s-hutinger@wiu.edu> wrote on 06/12/2004 05:21:24 PM:
>

>>sissonj@insession.com wrote:

>have

>allows

>updated

>>>Refer to the links in the comments of the following JIRA issue:
>>>
>>>http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-79
>>>
>>>It would be nice if the JIRA issue is used to record progress on the
>>>documentation.
>>>

>>Thanks for pointing this out.  What did you have in mind for the search
>>on a pc?  I was wondering if you were thinking of  something like the
>>adobe extensible metadata platform, or something like that?  I really
>>haven't looked at pdf search techniques.  I guess someone could attach
>>derby to pdf files somehow :-)
>>
>>scott
>>

>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>John
>>>

>Hi Scott,
>
>I haven't spent any time with cocoon, FOP etc, but I have seen other
>commercial software products provide a PDF document for each of their
>manuals and a searchable index that covers all the manuals.
>
>I'm not sure if any of the open source PDF file generation solutions
>provide something like:
>http://www.adobe.co.uk/epaper/tips/acr5search/main.html
>
>I wasn't trying to suggest that Derby be somehow used to search PDF
>documentation (not sure if that is what you thought I said)..
>
>I would like the ability to search within acrobat reader across the
>different derby manuals and also have the ability to have links from one
>manual to the other (as I found I had to refer to more than one manual to
>perform some Derby tasks).

OK, I understand.  I guess I didn't read the issue correctly all the way.

>The following page describes the search functionality and it also
>mentioned PDF metadata (that you mentioned), so it sounds like you might
>have given yourself away as the PDF expert :-)

Actually, I don't know anything about PDF.  I did notice that FOP
supports PDF version 1.3.  So I don't think embedded XML within the PDF
file would work.  It does have Document Level Navigation, Destinations,
Bookmarks etc.  I did notice in FOP if memory problems start to exist,
turn off forward references.  But the point I guess is, do any other new
document formats exist that might be better than PDF?  I know we will
still output to PDF, but thought some other cool document display
architecture might exist.   I don't know, as I am clueless about such
things.  I can look a bit though.

Anyone know of some other display architecture?
I'll look more into FOP to see what all it supports.

thanks,
scott